The town of Rogoznica, which sits on a peninsula in the Rogoznica inlet, is 35 km south of Sibenik. This peninsula was once the small island of Kopara and then, in the 19th century, it was connected to the mainland by a bridge of gravel.
This town was first mentioned in the year 1518. Still visible are the remains of a fort and windmill which sit at the top of the island which the frence started to build in the year 1809. The town church was built in the year 1615 and the medevial church of St. Nicolas was also preserved and sits in the Old Town of Rogoznica. On the south of Rogoznica, on Cape Ploce, stands the church of St. Ivan Trogirska. This church is a beautiful example of dalmation architecture and was built in the 13th century.
Rogoznica is a town full of history and beauty. The Gradina peninsula is also the site of the lake of Zmajevo oko (Dragon’s eye), with sea water. The lake is of irregular oval shape (150 by 70 meters), with an area of 5.300 sq meters, and maximum depth of 15 meters. The lake is considered to be a natural bioreactor with intesive biochemical processes taking place there. Close by this geohydromorphological phenomen, in the cove of Soline, there is Marina Frapa, a high-class marina with numerous facilities.
Rogoznica is known for its marina and harbour which are said to be the most beautiful and equipped on the whole Adriatic and this is why it is visited all year round. Within this inlet a man-made island was made to enhance its marina which fits 300 boats off-shore and 100 boats connected to shore. The night life of Rogoznica takes place in Marina Frapa and there is a disco club Aurora in Primošten. In the summer season the Tourist Association of Rogoznica organizes a series of events, with the traditional Rogoznica Fishermen Evening being the central event (the first saturday in August), and Lady of chapel (July, 2nd).